And so to last Thursday morning and hiving our nuc in the already occupied hive. We could have simply transferred the new bees. The two colonies would then fight because each owed allegiance to a differently-scented queen (or laying worker as queen substitute). Our package bees being in the great minority would eventually be killed but so might some number of the new bees. Violent solutions can be quite wasteful.
Since it was day thirty-five of hiving the original package, most of the original workers were dead and our small population may have been largely drones that were children of our laying worker. A feasible alternative would have been to just evict them and transfer the new bees. Any old bee trying to return would be killed. Another violent solution if a little less costly in new bees since the battle would be fought at the small entrances and not wholesale throughout the hive.
We decided to attempt a ‘paper combine’. In this procedure a sheet of newspaper is used to separate the two colonies. The hope is that by the time the bees chew through the paper they will become accustomed to each other’s scent. Since we have a horizontal hive we could not simply insert the sheet of newspaper between hive bodies but made a special follower board with a large hole in it and then papered over the hole. Because follower boards do not fit with perfect tightness, we let the edges of the newspaper extend past the board to behave as a kind of flange. Our package bees had built their comb on the bars near the old follower board. We moved them to the front of the hive. Then we installed our hole-y follower with the newspaper. The frames from the nuc would go on the other side of this follower.
The nuc bees looked as if they would very soon need room to expand, so we strategically added a few empty bars: one between the hole-y follower and the first brood frame, one between the brood frames and the frames of honey, and three before finishing with the follower. Graphically we went from:
|e||empty cell||c||comb from package bees|
|b||comb with brood from nuc bees||c||comb, either empty or with honey, from nuc bees|
|f||the follower board||h||the hole-y, newspaper-covered follower board|
We covered the gaps between frames by laying top-bars on them with the flat side down and beveled side up. This made the roof not sit quite right when we put it back but it will serve for now. All this allowed no way for the nuc bees to leave the hive unless they got through the paper. We had intended to give them an opening of their own but Shawn had warned that they may then regard the two partitions of the hive as two distinct hives and not be motivated to chew through the paper.
There was a momentary panic when our feeder follower did not fit in its new location further down the hive. It was a hair too wide. A quick run to house and back brought the original follower board to the rescue. We should not need to feed these bees for a while so we can trim our fancy feeder follower at leisure. Finally we left the disassembled parts of the nuc, which still had some diehards clinging to it, sitting near the hive but looking in no way like home. And so endeth the procedure.
Much later in the day we saw some bees performing orientation flights near the entrances but also some climbing up under the roof. The former happily suggested that they had found their way through already and were getting accustomed to their new home. The latter that they were coming and going via gaps in the frames. We would discover which on the next day.