In the last post we went into detail about the difficulties of the panel wrapping and taping procedure to insulate our hives. This year was the worst ever. Not only did we have all the problems of which we wrote but the day after we took the glamour shot of the hives in their new winter finery the duct tape already started to release its grip. We taped down the tape in response but to little avail. We would always need to apply some extra tape on a few occasions throughout a winter but never so soon nor so much. Unsticking faster than any season before, a mere week later loose tape ends were flapping on slouching panels like a bad complexion on a sullen teen.

Except for nae-sa-wee Angharad. The tape seemed to cling quite well to the trash bag covering her as opposed to the tar paper on the other hives, a thicker paper than we had used before. So, once again taking advantage of a favorable break in the cold and rain, we removed the panels, stripped them of the tar paper, recovered them with black plastic sheeting, and retaped. We considered using black trash bags as we had for Angharad but the panels did not quite fit well within and we would need much more cutting and taping. Easiest to just begin with the sheeting we had once bought for smothering weeds.

Weeks later the tape is holding and the hives still look neat and tidy. Lesson learned. And someday soon we shall cover the rooves.